I took the above picture when we were in Cape May, NJ. for Lizzie's boot camp graduation.
October 2007

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The F word

With the development of having a woman run for president, I've been hearing the F-bomb a lot lately...feminism. I've heard ppl criticize Hillary and her supporters for being feminist. This makes me scratch my head. I know that most ppl with any college level education have to take some general social science courses in which the topic of feminism is discussed.

What do you think feminism is?

I have learned feminism to be the support of equal rights for women. Period. I've heard some ugly rants against women who are feminist and kinda shudder...do you know who you are talking to? Are you seriously suggesting to me that I don't deserve the same rights as a man? I don't think some ppl realize how offensive it comes across. While they are busy bashing an idea, they aren't taking the time to learn what it really means. Either that, or they do truly believe that women aren't equal to men. So when I ask a room full of ppl who here is a feminist, and notice that a lot of ppl, including women, do not raise their hand...I have to wonder, how many of us hang onto old ideas for dear life, just because we're used to it? And at what cost to society?

No comments: